Wednesday 5 September 2007

The Joys of Pappaledighet

Ah....This is the life....

I dropped my son of at dagis and then headed into Västerås to wander around with my daughter and watch the world go by. We started by walking around Lillåudden and enjoying the sun shinning over Lake Mälaren and then continued along the harbour before following Svartån into the city centre. Since my daughter was still asleep I took the chance to sit in a coffee shop for some morning fika and watch the people heading off to work (suckers!).

The mornings are definately the best, since the little angel sleeps really well so long as I keep her moving. In the afternoons, I need to feed her and then feed me and then its not so long until we have to colect my son again. He is often over tired when he gets home, so it can be a real struggle to keep home happy and then of course there's dinner to prepare...

The dream ends tommorrow when I return to work for five days where its back to endless meetings and working my fingers to the bone slaving over a hot keyboard. But for now I can look forward to the next time I'm at home...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's none of my bussines but...
It's quite nice to have many weeks together, not rushing between leave and work. The risk is that you never can focus on either, you are allways thinking of the next week. Not the next day.

Swenglishman said...

Actually it's not that hard. We worked this way when our first child was born and when I am at work, I am at work and when I am at home, I am at home. The transission becomes very natural.

Anonymous said...

But what about your coworkers?
"Is Swenglishman here next week for the kick-off?" Maybe a little late with e-mail answers during the week you are att home?

In my company we think working 50-50 is the worst. It will easily be 60-60 or 40-40. We prefer maybe 80-20 if it should be parttime. Both in projects and leave (of any kind).

Swenglishman said...

I have a calendar on my wall showing when I work and when I don't. Of course my co-workers would rather that I didn't go away at all (well the managers anyway).

On the other hand when a person sits on some key knowledge, it can be a problem for them to dissapear entirely for 6 months. Instead I am there at work every week if anybody needs to talk to me.

Anonymous said...

Funny how Swenglishman's (and his partner/wife's) choice seems provocative. I have no kids, but often experience working with people who have, and think that I would be able to cope very well with somebody being there every second week as long as that is predictable. Much better than somebody being away for months, or always leaving at lunch.