Sunday 2 September 2007

Cat Stew: A new Australian delicacy

Wild cats are a real problem in Australia, where they eat almost anything and destroy populations of indigenous species. One new solution to the problem is to encourage people to hunt the cats and eat them. Cats apparently are considered by some to be ‘good eating’ and taste like a cross between rabbit and (like everything else) chicken. One woman even entered a cat casserole into a cooking contest in Alice Springs.

I guess one persons cuddly pet is another’s tasty lunch. In Peru I was offered Guinea Pig (Marsvin), In China and Korea they eat dog and even in Britain people are happy eating rabbit, whereas in Sweden rabbits are considered more of a pet as there is not a big wild rabbit population here.

If this catches on in Sweden I would like to start with the two cats who think my garden is a litter box. I’d stew them up and have them with favor beans and a nice Chianti.

2 comments:

Fil. Dr. Cecil H. Fox said...

The invidious dietary habits of Australians for such items as alligator tail and cats hold no comparisons to my favorite, syrströming, a delicacy beyond description. In other parts of the world (the US, where else) Squirrel is a major component of Brunswick Stew. Although Ekörre may not make it to the stage of Svensk Husman's Kost this rodent after simmering for a few hours with all manner of vegetbles is quite acceptable. I wish to present my version of that aged statement about things tasting like chicken, my version is that everything tastes like Iguana,

Ian Bird-Radolovic said...

I think about the Old Icelandic people after they had starved there way through winter until in the uttermost pit of despair and hunger they were forced to eat the rotting carcasses of whales and sharks. I wonder what they would think if they knew that hundreds of years later this would be a national delicacy.