Saturday 4 August 2007

Webstats Ruined My Life

My name is Swenglishman and I am an addict…this is my story…

When I started blogging I set up stat tracking accounts with statcounter.com and then later with Google Analytics. It seamed like a bit of fun at the time, to see how many people were looking at my blog and where in the world they came from. I thought I could handle it… You know how it is, other people get hooked, but not me, I’m stronger than that…

But then I found myself checking the stats more and more. I would find myself coming home from work and immediately checking how many hits I’d got that day, it was the first thing I did in the morning and the last thing I did at night. Everything else took second place, my job, my kids, my marriage, now I am left with nothing, living out of a cardboard box with just this laptop and a WiFi connection.

Oh all right, maybe not, but it is still really fun and to see the webstats and its interesting what they tell us about the habits of Blogg readers. For example I get most hits at 13.00pm on weekdays, when office workers get back from lunch and need some chill out time before the afternoon session. Another big peak is at 8.00am, when the workers first log on and read the latest blogs while they wait for that first coffee of the day to kick in. After lunch there is a peak at the 18.00pm and another at 20.00pm (which I guess are readers with small kids who have just got the little devils off to bed).

Hmmm….I wonder how many new hits I’ll get form this post…I better just go and take a look…

1 comment:

bengt said...

23:35. Checking in.