Thursday 2 August 2007

Get rid of the TV and Chill Out

The local Västerås newspaper has been running some features on lack of sleep, which is apparently a modern health hazard affecting ever more of us. In recent years sales of medication to help people sleep has increased dramatically.

It's the curse of our modern all connected information overload world. For example I am writing this at 10.00p.m in the evening when I should be winding down and getting ready for bed. Last night I stayed up watching Foyle's War till 22.30 and the night before it was the Midsommar Murders. A few years ago I would play computer games all evening so when I finally got to bed, laid down and closed my eyes I would still visualise Civilization units, or bad guys waiting to be shot at.

You don't need medication to fix this, you just need to disconnect from the buzz of modern life for a while and let the body relax.

I know this, being a caravan owner because when we are out with the caravan there is no TV, no computer or DVD player and instead we sit up and read or play cards, Yahtzee etc.. before going to bed at around 22.00 ready for the next day. After a few days of this you start to sleep like a brick and the lights in your head go out just as soon as your head hits the pillow.

I wonder how many people are stressed right now glued to their computer looking for on-line farmacitical sites where they can buy pills to help them sleep!

Most of the time it's not what goes on at work that makes us too stressed to sleep, it's what we do in the evenings that doesn't allow the brain the time it needs to cool off and relax.

No comments: