Saturday 11 August 2007

Meteorites Over Västerås

Thursday night I stood in my garden and saw three shooting stars. Tonight my chances of seeing some more should be even better. It’s that time of year for the Perseids Meteor Shower, when the Earth passes through the tail of Comet Swift-Tuttle and as the debris hit’s the atmosphere it burns up to form shooting stars. The best time to see them will be from Sunday night to sunrise on Monday morning, but even tonight there will be plenty to see.

Since there is no moon just now, if the skies are clear then it promises to be a good show. It’s just a shame that its still quite light in the sky over southern Sweden, as the darker the sky, the better. I’ve been watching the Perseids every year since I was a child so they are a real pert of the summer to me.

So go out and watch the skies…

No comments: