Thursday 8 April 2010

Trampoline related injuries season opens

Now spring has arrived and the snow is finally melting, life is returning to the gardens of Sweden. First come the snow drops, then the tulips, then the dandelions (maskrosor) and then the trampolines.

Never, the most discrete addition to a garden, trampolines at least give the kids something fun to do and keeps the little blighters occupied for a few hours. That's the theory anyway. The truth can be somewhat different as trampoline related injuries begin to ramp up as the weather improves. In Göteborg on Sunday there were two children who left the barn akuten with broken limbs after playing on trampolines and the staff knowingly commented on how this was just the beginning of the season.

How do I know this? Because one of them was my three year old daughter who had earlier being jumping around with her cousins before landing badly.

Now I know that if you have side protectors and make sure its only one child at a time jumping then this minimises the risk, but come on, how often do you see that rule enforced. When the kids can jump climb on and start jumping, often with no adult supervision, you can't predict what might happen. I have learnt a valuable lesson as a parent, I just feel bad my daughter is the one who has to pay the consequence.

Today, when I waked into Toys R Us and saw a stack of trampolines mounted one on top of the other like a pyramid, with special offers and reduced prises, I just wanted to run up and rip them all down.

My daughter is doing well though and amazes me every day with how she has learnt to get around with one leg in plaster. I just need to find her something safer to play with when she finally gets the damn thing taken off.

No comments: