Friday 11 January 2008

One of the Great Explorers of Our Time

Farewell to Sir Edmund Hillary, one of the iconic figures of the twentieth century, whose exploits have inspired a generations of climbers and explorers.

Sir Edmund died aged 88 and leaves a great legacy behind. After climbing Mt. Everest with Tenzing Norgay, Sir Edmund fell in love with the Nepalese Himalayan Mountains and campaigned passionately to improve the lives of the Sherpa people who dwelt there. This led to him being made an honorary Nepalese citizen in 2003.

So many people climb Mt. Everest these days; it's hard to imagine how it was for those first two pioneers climbing an untrodden path in one of the most remote places on the planet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been over one month since your last post! Have you quit?

Ian Bird-Radolovic said...

ha ha ! No, i haven't quit, but I have been moving house and it has taken up a LOT of my time. We bought a house that needed a lot of renovation and it has not left much time for blogging. I hoped to blog about the renovation process, but in the end I was just too tired an unmotivated in the evenings.

But you have not heard the last of Swenglishman and I will return !!!

Anonymous said...

Outstanding! Looking forward to your return!

Anonymous said...

Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know
a few of the pictures aren't loading correctly. I'm not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
I've tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same results.

Also visit my page: direct cash advance