Sunday 4 November 2007

Stuck in Standstead Airport's Security Check

Last weekend I flew to England from Sweden for a weekend visit. Flying out from Sweden with Ryanair was a dream as I had no baggage and had checked in on-line so I didn't even need to queue for the check in desk.

Getting home again was a nightmare though. There were so many people trying to squeeze through the security check at Standstead airport that it took me an hour to make it into the departure hall. It's always the same; there are so many flights and just too few X-ray scanners, which creates this terrible bottleneck.

All around me were people worrying that after queuing for God knows how long to check in they were now going to miss their flights as they couldn't get through the security check. We were hot, frustrated and just shuffling along like sheep. By the time I made it through, there was barely enough time to buy a sandwich before I had to go to the departure gate. I wonder how many people miss their flights after being stuck there so long.

It was ridiculous and made me again wish that Ryanair had not moved their flights from Sweden's Västerås airport to Standstead from Luton. Luton airport is much smaller and consequently it does not take as long to clear the security.

I would have hated to have had my kids with me. Whenever I fly with my kids I use SAS or British Airways since the service is much better, even though the tickets cost more.

No comments: