Friday 26 October 2007

Changing Seasons - Not Good for Sleep

There is new report out saying how people are more affected by the change from summertime to wintertime than previously thought.

When I lived in England I was never that much affected by the clock change from summer to wintertime, but now I live so much more further north I really notice it. In the Summer I can't sleep because it is so light outside my body never gets the signals it needs to rest, but strangely I don't feel tired either.

In the winter I am tired all the time and even if I regularly go to bed at 21:30, it does not really help. As a naive Englishman I kind of assumed that Swedes had learnt to cope with the varying daylight hours or maybe even had developed genetic tolerance to it over all these centuries, but not so. I still meet loads of Swedes who become almost like zombies during the winter months.

Luckily we have coffee to help (or at least give a working placebo effect).

In the summer I am very much an evening person, but in the winter I am neither a morning nor evening person - I 'm at best lunchpigg!

The only good thing is that when my young kids wake up at 5:30, it is easier to persuade them to go back to sleep again when it is dark outside.

No comments: