Friday 27 July 2007

All Alone at Work

So another working week comes to an end and at last the weekend is here. It's quite strange for me right now since I am on my own in an office area which normally has about 15 people. This will continue for two more weeks until the first of colleagues start drifting back to work.

On the one hand it’s great to be all on my own as I can get some 'real' work done without all the tedious meetings and endless discussions. Actually it’s scary how much more efficient I can be. The down side is there is nobody to talk to or fika with (hence the extra efficiency?).

In England it is usual to only take 2 weeks of vacation in the summer. Most of the times if you want to take more that 2 weeks off in a single block you need the permission of your manager. This does mean that there are not so many people off work at the same time like here in Sweden. I work in a building which should have a few hundred employees, but right now it feels like a ghost town.

I'll try to enjoy the solitude and concentrate on getting as much stuff done as possible, as for one thing it takes my mind of the fact that I am sitting at work and all my colleagues are off (I imagine) having a much better time.

No comments: